It’s the most wonderful time of the year, and okay, we’re still not over LA and we really should stop going on about summer now. But, if there is one thing that’s going to shut our pie holes up about summer then of course, it’s Christmas.
We’re now officially in December and the season of joy and merriment is upon us, so we had to get some of the excitement out and create this little write up about our favourite things and moments that we’re looking forward to most this month. Perhaps some of you will relate and our little post will help get you super excited and in the festive mood as you read on.
So, what do we love most about C H R I S T M A S time?
1. The films and the songs – There are too many to name but who is bursting with excitement at the idea of cosying up with blankets, fresh pjs, a baileys hot chocolate and hearing the delights of Elf, National Lampoons Christmas Vacation, Bridget Jones, The Holiday, Home Alone and A White Christmas coming through the sound system? It just brings a sense of magic, calm and happiness as does “where the tree tops glisten and children listen”.
2. The shopping – Now we know sometimes the mad dash for Christmas shopping can infuriate one, but for us we just love LOVE LOVE it. If it does get too much, we just use it as a good excuse for a gingerbread latte and a wedge of cake somewhere. It’s a wonderful feeling buying presents for our loved ones and we love to see the look on their face when they finally get to rip it open. Yes brother. You are welcome for the Lynx set. He loves it. No matter how small or large the gift, it really doesn’t matter. It’s not about ‘showing’ off, it’s about ‘showing’ love. But sometimes we can’t help but treat ourselves too. Sorry to our non-existing savings account.
3. Buying all the festive coffees (even when you’re not a coffee drinker) – whether it’s orange, hazelnut, caramel, almond, mince pie or turkey flavour… you’re having it because it’s a novelty at Christmas.
4. The Christmas attire – Glitter, sparkle, twinkles, metallic, jewels and flashing lights get over here you. Time to dress like an actual Christmas tree. We’re all for this.
5. The wrapping – This can only be truly carried out with the sound of a Christmas movie or song in the background – The Polar Express, the Jungle Book or Jack Frost have beautiful sentimental tunes that will make your heart melt, and the smell of a Christmas candle burning by your side provides the ultimate touch to wrapping your gifts with love.
6. The food – Tis the season where it’s perfectly acceptable to demolish endless puddings, cheese, chocolate, mini soufflés, mini Yorkshire puds ….. all at the same time! “Mini Gerkin anyone?” – Bridget’s mum knows! At any other time of the year, it probably wouldn’t go down well, but December is all about mixing the breaded mini food with any dip in sight.
7. The smells and atmosphere– Cinnamon, orange, mulled apple, spiced pear, gingerbread, vanilla, chocolate, baileys, Christmas tinsel…. The list goes on. Also, what about the ice rinks – the place where we suddenly think we’re a professional figure skater, the Christmas markets – the place where we’re more than happy to spend a fiver on a dried up orange, the magical light displays and giant Christmas trees making us feel like we’re elves in the North pole. Pure love!
8. Winding down at work – This time of the year just appears a little more chilled in the workplace. Literally chilled because it’s even more cold in the office than usual. Definitely time to layer up! Haha but seriously, people are excited to be seeing their family, for having time off, for meeting up with old friends, eating cheeseboards for dessert and cracking out the Christmas jumper. The office seemingly becomes a place where boxes of mince pies turn up unannounced and Christmas cards linger on desktops for most of the month spreading glitter trails on their way. You might event hear your boss humming or whistling along to ‘oh the weather outside is frightful but the fire is so delightful’. You always knew they had a soft spot.
9. Netflix and actual chill in socks and pyjamas– Perhaps with a dose of Collin Firth whilst watching Bridget Jones, or that classic scene with Andrew Lincoln and Keira Knightley in Love Actually. Just surrender yourself to the warmth it oozes.
10.Tartan print – Time to snuggle on down in those tartan print EVERYTHING! Such a festive look and a classic Christmas must have.
11. Christmas Eve – One of the most special days of the year! Waking up and watching a classic Christmas treat with a hot coffee or mulled wine while we wrap our last remaining presents is how we wish every morning could be spent. We’re talking A White Christmas, It’s a Wonderful Life and An American in Paris. If you haven’t yet watched, then Gene Kelly, Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye is our gift to you this year. Also, the classic track ‘Sisters’ by Betty and Rosemary Clooney is a yes! Absolute show girls! After that, it’s all about the drinks and getting dressed up to meet friends and family.
12. The period of nothing between Christmas and New Year when all the board games come on out – Blissful boredom. It’s yours!! We’re always so grateful for this time. Whether we’re on a hike (not many btw – food coma central more like), choreographing our own dances, singing along to musicals, playing monopoly or Uno or just listening to every Christmas song ever on repeat before it’s January, it’s always fun!
Feel free to share your favourite Christmas moments, films or songs with us? We’d love to know!
It’s a wonderful time and we wish everyone nothing but happiness, good health and laughter.
We’ll be popping more Christmas posts up soon.
All the love,
Clo & Gigi